Monday, March 22, 2010

MSU Non-Profit PR Project

For the last few weeks, I've been assigned the responsibility, along with 3 other group members, to help a non-profit organization in the form of some kind of benefit/fundraiser scenario. My group has the opportunity to work with Little Kids Rock, a non-profit organization with locations spanning the country that is dedicated to donating instruments and installing music ed programs to schools that have been stripped of their music curriculum.

Being in local bands since my High School years, I totally understand the importance and influence music can have on someone's childhood. Furthermore, I myself would have much preferred a rock-band format music curriculum. LKR has told us that within a few sessions, they have full classrooms jamming out songs by teaching common chords, rhythms, and simple theory. Imagine how much more effort you would have put into your K-12 music classes if you were jamming out "Hotel California" instead of "Hot Cross Buns".

Anyway, without divulging too much information that is in the woodwork, our project is going well beyond what we had originally planned in nearly every aspect; we are going to raise more money, organization awareness, and help run an overall smoother event than we had initially aimed for.

I've enjoyed working with my group members and Keith from LKR. I'm looking forward to an awesome event, and I'll be posting confirmed updates here as the information rolls in.

Lastly, it's important to note that Erika from MSU's Class One Concerts has helped us out more than she probably realizes. She runs an awesome organization and deserves a lot of credit. Be sure to check out C1C's facebook page here.

-RB

0 comments:

Post a Comment