Thursday, January 28, 2010

Happy Grab Bag Record Day at Salvation Army!!!

There's honestly something really awesome and special about old-school vinyl records. It's not like buying a new album on vinyl because there is so much digital technology put into the recording of the music that it almost negates the fact that the music is being played on a circular piece of etched VINYL. And it's not quite like listening to cd's and mp3's of old music because that bullshit is most likely completely remastered, out of order, compiled into some hits collection... while all being done without the artists consent and little royalties. (Note: Not that I don't love remastered music -- I do -- but it's not the same). The point is, old music on old vinyl is special. Sure, it's music from the past, but it's new and completely unique in an -- I want to say -- authentic way; when I listen to a random album purchased from a thrift store like Salvation Army, I have no idea what to expect. I don't have any preconceived perceptions or notions on the artist or album... other than maybe the year it was released (which sometimes can be hard to find on those old vinyl) and the artwork gracing the cover. Otherwise, I have no further knowledge on the music I am going to hear. It's a wonderfully sick experience.

So, it's been decided by me that today is a national...no...worldwide... holiday.

Here are the rules of my Holiday (Grab Bag Record Day? We'll work on it):

* This Holiday doesn't hit you in the wallet. It's cheap, and therefore, Grab Bag (record) Day will commence every Wednesday. Unless you are busy, in which case you may celebrate on any of the other days, or you could...not celebrate...whatever, bro.

* You must buy (less than) ten dollars worth of random music, movies and media (vinyl ;) , CD's, VHS movies, DVDs, books on tape, etc.) at a local thrift store of your choice.

* Must have at least 5 items to constitute Rob's definition of "Grab Bag" (one item per finger on the grabbing hand)

and lastly

* Must share your findings via blogosphereeeee.

Ok, whew, so moving on. I will become the first to post on my findings. I actually got somewhere around 11 albums for only $6.00. SIX DOLLARS! You can't even buy a new EP for six bucks.

Anyway, here's what I enjoyed the most out of my grab bag:

1) Roger Williams - Roger! (1967) 12-Song LP
Standout Tracks: Theme From "BLACK ORPHEUS", I'm a Believer (Monkees Cover), And I Love Her (Beatles Cover)

**Roger Williams is an insanely talented pianist. Actually, if what I've learned is true, he is THE best-selling pianist in the history of pop music. I didn't know much about him before listening to this album, but I have to say it's everything from fun to moving while managing to be quite an overall upbeat enjoyable album. If you are into Frank Sinatra type stuff as well talented musicianship, this might bode well with your ears.



2) Glen Campbell - The Artistry of Glen Campbell (1967) 20-Song Double LP
Standout Tracks: Wayfaring Stranger (oh my god, so so so good), Scarlet Ribbons, Love is Blue

**Incredible vocals with intricate, noodling acoustic guitars. Wayfaring Stranger has quickly become one of my favorite songs (this week) and his version of Scarlet Ribbons rules. Also, picking up this album opened my Glen Campbell doors; I have discovered an album which he had collaborated on called Present Tense by psychedelic rockers Sagittarius. THAT comes highly recommended as well (especially if you are a sucker for Beach Boys era psych-pop. 


3) The Grateful Dead - Live in Europe '72 (1972) ? Live LP

Standout Tracks: Sugar Magnolia, Cumberland Blues

**Never been a "Dead Head", but I have found a new appreciation for the Dead. Their unique live and improvised sound and fuzzed guitars are quite endearing. I wouldn't suggest it if you aren't looking for random music of the past or are a major fan of the Grateful Dead, but it is TOTALLY worth the 45 cents.


That's all for now. There's a bunch of other random things that I enjoyed including records by Neil Young, Glenn Yarbrough, and a Ferrante & Teicher "Broadway Hits" album. If you're interested in anything else concerning these albums or artists, feel free to hit me up.

Happy Grab Bag Record Day to all!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

rob,

i think you'd enjoy these if you dont have them

everybody knows this is nowhere by neil young and crazy horse
and
american beauty by the grateful dead.

-funk

Post a Comment