Friday, May 28, 2010

Born At The Wrong Time


I convince myself that I know a lot about rock music and history, but anytime I discover (or re-discover, in this case) a band like Canned Heat, I realize the contrary. Its not the distorted blues riffs of the late 60's, its not the driving beats, the hair nor the beards that comprise the true essence of rock. Rather, its the reality, the understanding that the music was an experience and culmination of of a generation ready to break out of the Pop-oriented seams of the time. This performance by the classic psychedelic rock band Canned Heat portrays the true, unbridled rock & roll aesthetic that seems to have disappeared over the last forty or so years.

The sixties was a different, fresh time period for music, and while I pretend... WISH... that I truly understood all there is to know about good ol' rock 'n' roll, I find myself starting fresh any time I find a performance of this caliber. 

Enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment